- Maria was awarded the prestigious Frieda Martha Kunze Fellowship from the UMN Graduate School to support the final year of her dissertation research. Congrats, Maria!
- Welcome MPH student Kayla Hanson to the group! Kayla will be working on HPV vaccine hessitancy for her thesis.
- Our MenAfriCar Consortium manuscript Household transmission of Neisseria meningitidis in the African meningitis belt: a longitudinal cohort study was published in Lancet ID!
- Bridget's abstract was accepted for a poster presentation at the Consortium of Universities for Global Health Annual Conference to be held in April 2017.
- Bridget is traveling back to Kampala, Uganda to continue data collection at Mulago National Referral Hospital for her study of pregnant women and emergency care.
- Nicole gave a guest lecture in Fareed Awan's Medical Ethics Course at UMN.
- Nicole and co-author Hannah Christensen published a commentary about the new MenB vaccine in the Lancet - 4CMenB Vaccine: reasons for optimism.
- Kim presented at the Travel and Tropical Medicine Seminar hosted by the UMN School of Medicine.
- Bridget won the "Outstanding Poster Award" at the UMN Global Health Day for her work on emergencies during pregnancy in Uganda. Congrats, Bridget!
- Maria presented a poster at the UMN Global Health Day on her work on breastfeeding delay in Bangladesh.
- Our Makerere University collaborator Cecily Banura gave the keynote speech at the UMN Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility Global Health Day event. Nicole spoke on the panel discussion alongside Cecily and Susan Craddock. Watch the video here.
- Nicole presented to the UMN Epidemiology Post-Docs group about careers in Epidemiology.
- Bridget was awarded the Hawley Research Award from the UMN Division of Epidemiology and Community Health to expand her research on emergency care during pregnancy in Uganda.
- Dawn, Nicole and Cecily Banura from Markerere University traveled to Oyam, Uganda, to plan for our upcoming HPV vaccine study.
- Maria was awarded an Interest Group Grant for the UMN School of Public Health Student Infectious Disease Journal Club from the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Congrats, Maria!
- Maria presented a poster on measuring the cost-effectiveness of different influenza vaccines according to major circulating strains at the Society for Medical Decision Making in Vancouver, Canada.
- Our reply to two letters commenting on our MenB vaccine study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Nicole and co-PIs Hee Lee and Cecily Banura along with co-investigators Shalini Kulasingam, Ruby Nguyen, and Fareed Awan were awarded a UMN Grand Challenges Exploratory Research Grant to expand their work on HPV vaccine and develop educational initiatives to internationalize the UMN curriculum.
- Nicole presented her work on MenAfriVac vaccine at the International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference in Manchester, UK.
- Maria was awarded the UMN SPH Alumni Scholarship. Congrats, Maria!
- Nicole joined the Reminders 4 Readiness UMN Grand Challenges Team.
- Welcome, Kim Bonner, new Epidemiology PhD Student and RA!
- Congrats PhD student Kim Bonner on receiving a UMN SPH Dean’s Scholars Award!
- Join us at the MN State Fair Driven to Discover Research Tent to participate in our study "What have you HEARD about the HERD?"
- Nicole and Maria participated in a workshop on Simulating Intervention Trials in Infectious Diseases co-hosted by Betz Halloran and Marc Lipsitch at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, WA.
- Dawn received an international travel grant from the UMN Global Programs and Strategy Alliance to travel to Uganda for our HPV study.
- Bridget spent July and August in Kampala, Uganda, to conduct primary data collection for her study of emergency care among pregnant women.
- Our manuscript "Immunogenicity of a Meningococcal B Vaccine during a University Outbreak" was published in The New England Journal of Medicine! See the accompanying editorial "A Challenge in Vaccine Development — Neisseria meningitidis Serogroup B."
- Our manuscript "Seasonal dynamics of bacterial meningitis: a time-series analysis" was published in The Lancet Global Health. Congrats to co-lead authors Juliette Parieau and Angelica Chen! See the accompanying commentary "Insights into seasonal dynamics of bacterial meningitis" by Mustapha Mustapha and Lee Harrison.
- Nicole and Fareed Awan from the UMN Department of Philosophy taught "Private Choices and Public Goods: The Ethics and Epidemiology of Vaccines" in the UMN Public Health Institute.
- Maria guest lectured on the topic of public health law in our Ethics and Epidemiology of Vaccines course.
- Nicole and co-investigators Shalini Kulasingam and Hee Yee at UMN and Cecily Banura at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, were awarded an AHC Uganda Seed Grant to conduct research on HPV vaccines.
- Congrats to lead author Maria Sundaram! Our manuscript "HPV vaccine uptake among overweight and obese US adolescents: an analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2009-2014" was published in Vaccine.
- Nicole and Fareed Awan were invited to lead a discussion on ethics in international research with the UMN School of Medicine Global Pediatrics Group.
- Bridget gave a guest lecture titled “Humans, Insects, and Disease” in Alan Lifson's PUBH 6385: Epidemiology and Control of Infectious Diseases course.
- Our Viewpoint "Use of serological surveys to generate key insights into the changing global landscape of infectious disease" was published in The Lancet. Congrats to lead author Jess Metcalf!
- Congrats to PhD student Maria Sundaram on receiving the UMN SPH Alumni Scholarship!
- Congrats to MPH student Jackie Logan on receiving a UMN EpiCH Hawley Award for her thesis research!
- Congrats to PhD student Bridget Griffith on receiving the UMN Graduate School Summer research internship award to fund her research in Uganda, with a partnership with the African Federation for Emergency Medicine.
- Nicole gave a guest lecture in Noreen Goldman's Epidemiology Course at Princeton University.
- Bridget a poster at the International Conference on Emergency Medicine in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Nicole participated in a panel discussion about pursuring an academic career for the UMN Graduate Training Program in Obesity and CVD.
- Congrats to Bridget for being awarded the Hawley Research Award from the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health for her proposal titled “Characterization of emergency care-seeking patterns for non-traumatic conditions in pregnant women in the East African setting, a pilot study.” In addition, Bridget received the Martin-Luepker Travel Award to help fund travel to Kampala, Uganda, to conduct primary data collection for this study.
- Welcome to Zach Laughlin Undergraduate RA!
- Nicole and co-investigator Fareed Awan, UMN Department of Philosophy, were awarded a UMN Driven to Discover Grant to conduct their study "What have you HEARD about the HERD?" at the Minnesota State Fair.
- The UMN SPH featured Nicole's research "Basta studies importance of vaccines on local and global scale"
- Maria co-authored a meta-analysis on influenza vaccine effectiveness by influenza subtype with colleagues at CIDRAP and Marshfield Clinic in Lancet ID. Congrats, Maria!
- Welcome to Dawn Nederhoff new Study Coordinator!
- Nicole gave a guest lecture in Zobeida Bonilla's Maternal and Child Health Course at UMN.
- Nicole gave a guest lecture in Rachel Widome's Fundamentals of Epidemiology Course at UMN.
- Nicole gave the Division seminar in the UMN Division of Environmental Health Sciences.
- Nicole was an invited speaker at the 10th Annual Meningitis Research Foundation Conference, London, England.
- Nicole gave a guest lecture in Dan Rubenstein's Ecology and Evolution Course's Medical Design Lab at Princeton University.
- Nicole gave a talk at the 64th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene in Philadelphia.
- Welcome Bridget Griffith, new Epi PhD Student and RA!
- Welcome Yangqing Deng, new Biostats Grad Student RA!
- Nicole hosted an NIH RAPIDD Workshop at UMN "Integration mathematical models into the design, analysis and interpretation of clinical trials" in collaboration with Alex Perkins.
- Nicole gave a talk at the 13th Congress of the European Meningococcal Disease Society (EMGM), Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Nicole was invited to attend the Clinic on the Meaningful Modeling of Epidemiologic Data at the African Institute of Mathematics, Muizenberg, South Africa
- Nicole presented her research for the US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) Meningococcal Vaccine Work Group.
- Nicole was invited to give a talk at The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Rockville, Maryland.
- Nicole gave a talk at the UMN Epidemiology Clinical Research Center Seminar.
- Nicole gave a talk at Princeton University's Center for Health and Wellbeing in The Woodrow Wilson School.
- Nicole attended an NIH RAPIDD Workshop on Targeted Control of Infectious Diseases at the University of Notre Dame.
- Nicole gave the Division seminar in the UMN Division of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- Nicole joined the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health at the University of Minnesota as an Assistant Professor.
- Welcome, Maria Sundaram, new Environmental Health Sciences PhD Student and RA!